St Petersburg to host the first research and educational programme of the Gorchakov Fund for studying the current development issues of the Eastern countries
On 4-8 June 2023, the School of International Relations of St Petersburg State University will hold a research and educational programme on the dialogue between Russia and the South Asia countries: “Asian Dialogue.”
“Russia’s pivot to the East” is one of the Russian priority strategies for the 21st century. Today, the Eurasian cooperation is on the increase, and Russia’s focus on interaction with Asia needs the advancement of new ideas.
The new research and educational programme of the Gorchakov Fund will be attended by experts from Russia, India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan, who are about to focus on the fundamental avenues of research devoted to the cooperation with the countries of the region, as well as domestic issues which directly affect the foreign policy course of the South Asia states.
The event will include panel discussions, round table talks, scientific modelling in the format of situation analysis and foresight sessions. The experts of the programme will be the leading academics from Russia and Asian countries, representatives of state and community-based institutions, companies, and media.
The forum’s thematic sessions will be as follows: Foreign policy priorities of the Russian Federation and other global actors in South Asia; Economic issues of interregional cooperation between South Asian countries and key trade and economic partners; hotbeds of tension in South Asia. More than 60 representatives of Russia, South Asia countries, as well as Iran and Uzbekistan participated in the programme.
Among the experts will be:
• Stanislav Tkachenko, PhD in Economics, Professor, Head of the “Diplomacy” Master’s Programme at St Petersburg University, Valdai Discussion Club Expert:
• Javed Muhammad Athar, Director General of the “Pakistan House” think tank;
• Boris Volkhonsky, PhD in Philology, Associate Professor at the Institute of Asian and African Studies of Lomonosov Moscow State University;
• Saiful Hok, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Bangladesh to the Russian Federation (2009-2019);
• Natalia Galistcheva, PhD in Economics, Head of World Economy Department, MGIMO University;
• Sanjay Deshpande, Director of the Centre for Central Eurasian Studies, University of Mumbai
• Datla Bala Venkatesh Varma, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of India to the Russian Federation (2018-2021)